View Single Post
Old 12-25-2008, 11:37 PM   #48
wmbwinn
Platinum Member

wmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg View Post
I have volunteered at two homeless shelters in Dallas (does that count in the survey as giving to charity?) and I can tell you that neither the Salvation Army nor the Catholic Charities were there. In fact, I can tell you that no "faith based" organizations of any kind were there. These were "halfway houses," where guys were trying to make their way back into society after serving terms as felons in the state penitentiary.

No Salvation Army, no Jesus Church...just liberals like me.

Have you spent time with people like that? We should send our data to that jackass who wrote the story, so that he can be better informed.
Yes. I have spent a lot of time in places like that. I was a minister before I went to college.

Yes, there are non church associated government run half way houses. There are also 'for profit' structures in that business.

But, there are also Salvation Army and Catholics Charity half way homes. You just volunteered at one that was not church associated.

Doesn't change any of the conversation as to its facts regarding the value of church based charity efforts and the definition of a charitable entity.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." -Thomas Jefferson
wmbwinn is offline   Reply With Quote