View Single Post
Old 12-26-2008, 12:01 AM   #54
jefelump

jefelump is a name known to alljefelump is a name known to alljefelump is a name known to alljefelump is a name known to alljefelump is a name known to alljefelump is a name known to alljefelump is a name known to alljefelump is a name known to alljefelump is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg View Post
Being the kind of guy who doesn't like to get involved in other people's affairs, I have neither animosity nor hatred for another man's religion. I do not like, however, to be confronted by it. What's yours is yours and should remain yours. And what's mine should be mine. I should be able to walk into Wal-Mart without considering the idea of whether your religion is the one that will deliver us all to paradise.

So, no more donations from me to the Salvation Army. Glad I learned what I learned tonight.
I assume when you say "your religion" that you are speaking in generalities. I am not a member of the Salvation Army, in case you were thinking I was trying to push my religion on you.

"What's yours is yours and should remain yours. And what's mine should be mine." I know you're talking about religion with that line, so I'll leave it at that, instead of relating that back to taxes and charity.

But going back to the Bell Ringers.... Why does it have to be about whether or not their religion will deliver us all to paradise? Why can't it just be about helping others? In the end, does the recipient of charity really care if that assistance came from a religious or a non-religious charity? I don't think so.

"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain

'Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,'
--Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .
jefelump is offline   Reply With Quote