View Single Post
Old 01-04-2003, 06:18 PM   #62
David
Golden Member

David is on a distinguished road

<<

<< I, therefore, think Nelson loses in the playoffs because someone else has the better team. When Nelson gets the best talent, or even talent, his team should win. There ARE coaches that seem to have his number, as far as head to head matches go among seemingly even team. Popovich in San Antonio is one. Whether it's familiarity or not, I don't know. I think the talent between SA and the Mavs is fairly even. Duncan being the matchup problem but it looks like Dirk ought to be a problem for THEM too. >>

So if the Mavs truly do have the 2nd best talent, then they should make it to the WCF's.... correct David?

Anything less than making the WCF's this year is a failure.

And David, would you hold Nellie accoutable if they fail to reach the WCF's?
>>

I think it depends on the matchups. Who the Mavs play before they get to the WCF. Is there an injury to any of the Big Three, etc.

I don't know about, &quot;holding Nellie accountable&quot; because that is not my role in life to hold people accountable. I'm not going to like it WHEN the Mavs get knocked out of the playoffs. If I was Mark and it WAS my role in life to hold people accountable, I would give it serious consideration. It would depend on how things played out.

I might have to hold some of the players accountable unless it was simply cold-shooting or something. As long as the team plays hard and there is no problem with the defensive or offensive schemes, I would lean toward giving Nelson a chance to finish the job he started. Of course before this season, I didn't consider the Mavs to be contenders for the championship.

So far in my Mavs watching career, I've only seen the Mavs IN the WCFs one time. I was delighted that they were there but disappointed when they were beaten.

I expect the Mavs to win their first round matchup unless they play the Lakers or SA, then I would call that a toss-up.

In the 2nd round, the Lakers or SA could get in the way. To me, the Mavs haven't proved their superiority over those teams beyond a shadow of a doubt. They are a better overall team than those two but the matchups and the mental hurdles could get in the way. I won't like it if the Mavs lose to either of those two but I don't think I call publicly for Nelson's head.

Also, how do you tell when it's one coach's failure as opposed to another coach's success? Or when is it one team's failure as opposed to another team's success? If the Mavs lose, some people put it off on Nelson or a particular player, yet if the Mavs win, they give the credit to one, or some, of the players. If you go over to another teams board THEY are putting the blame/credit on their coach/player but give no blame/credit to the team that beat them.

If the Mavs win, some people aren't going to give Nelson credit. If the Mavs lose, then they want to hold Nelson &quot;accountable&quot;. It depends on viewpoint and agenda. On the other team's boards, the same thing is going on with their coaches and players.
David is offline   Reply With Quote