View Single Post
Old 06-19-2010, 01:11 PM   #1687
tcat075
Diamond Member

tcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond repute

So I was reading the posts about the NBA being rigged, and I was thinking back to all the talk leading up to this final game, and I realized something I think is kind of interesting. Its a well known fact that the more playoff games played, the more money the teams, but also the NBA, gets.

So why is it that there have only been 3 Game 7's in the Finals since 1990? Isn't a Game 7 in the NBA Finals a huge money maker? Sky high ratings? Sold out attendance? If the NBA was truly rigged, if some games were decided because of revenue and league interest, then why have there not been more game 7's?

Like one of you guys said on the last page, if the league was truly rigged, why did Boston win in 08 and LA win this year?

Now, I do believe that some NBA officials have biases. Not every referee is fair and impartial at all times. I also believe that in the past, the NBA probably would subtly drop hints from time to time on who they want to win. Some of the evidence is too compelling. But I don't think its as prevelent as it was rumored to be, nor do I think that it occurs anymore.

Don't get me wrong, there is terrible officiating today. But I think most of it is to blame on the referees. Some are biased, some have agendas, and most are pulled in by superstar personas, by previous results...they maybe give a few more calls to current all stars and former champions. And then there's the other problem, the NBA keeps officials long past their prime. Basketball is the hardest sport to referee, no doubt. More judgment calls than any sport, even baseball. At least in baseball, you can look at the technology and see balls and strikes. In basketball, there is always the question of when is there enough contact for a foul to be called.

For this reason, good referees need good eyesight, quick reflexes, good stamina, etc etc. I think the NBA keeps way too many officials around that are way past their prime and cannot physically keep up with the game.

I think saying "The NBA is rigged!!!" over and over is just an excuse for your team. With basketball, its just time to accept that there will be bad calls, but that no game is ever rigged against you, at the very least not anymore.
tcat075 is offline   Reply With Quote