View Single Post
Old 06-19-2010, 09:55 PM   #1692
tcat075
Diamond Member

tcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan1 View Post
man, in 2008 the celtics were CLEARLY the best team. Stern and his puppets can't do magic. But when it comes down to equal teams the referees can certainly help.
the same logic work for the game 7 question. Some of the last nba finals were clearly not appealing as a celtics x lakers is. That was the highest rating since the Jordan era.
This makes no sense. The reason the NBA hasn't had more games go 7 is because the matchups have been sucky, so no one cares?

First off, people care about the Finals, no matter who is in it. The Spurs sweeping the Cavs, those three games cost the NBA millions of dollars. Maybe there aren't as many people watching as they would in a Boston/LA, but there's a lot more than any other game in the entire season.

And there were some good matchups besides Boston/LA. Our own 2006 playoff series. Miami and Dallas are both huge matchups. LA/Detroit? Lots of people in both of those cities. New Jersey went twice...you're telling me that they don't have a lot of fans?

If all the NBA truly cared about was money, they'd make games go 6 or 7 games every single time. At least. Not only for the money, but to keep interest. If a casual fan tunes into the Finals one year and sees four blowouts where neither team ever tries in the 2nd half, what are the chances he'll tune in next year to the regular season stuff?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan1 View Post
It's not a excuse, it's a fact. We better get a damn GOOD team next season or bring Lebron or Wade. Otherwise, we're screwed, trust me.
Good logic here. We need to get a good team. If we get a bad team, we're going to lose and get screwed. But if we get a good team, we'll do good and win games. Last I checked, that's how sports work.

And saying the NBA is rigged is an excuse. Now, I'm not shy to bitch about officiating if I think its bad. I've seen terrible games, and they happen with much more regularity than any other sport. But its always stuff that happens to everyone. Dwyane Wade, despite being on a bad team, gets free throws. Its not because the league sent down a memo wanting their popular storied franchise the Heat to win, because they aren't that popular and have little history. Its because referees are biased and give the benefit of the doubt, and a little more, to Wade because of his reputation. This happens against the Grizzlies, but it also happens against the Lakers. If it mysteriously stopped against the NBA's marquee teams, I'd question the whole rigged thing a little more, but it doesn't. And the Heat don't succeed. Wade just gets free throws.

Dirk is viewed as a guard when he's "posting" at 20 feet, so officials allow two hands. They shouldn't, but it happens all the time, from the Nets to the Nuggets. Jason Terry is allowed to take a step then jump stop, sometimes two steps, without using his dribble. Other players do it too, but its viewed as not being a travel.

The referees are bad, they are biased for and against players, and sometimes, they do actually favor the good teams over the bad teams. But overall, there is no mandate that forces the refs to make sure the Cavs win 65 games. The fact that many of their games are blowouts, and not easily influenced by a few calls, helped support that.

Speaking of, if the NBA was really wanting Dallas to fail, then that streak of 8 consecutive wins in 1-point wins would not actually exist. A call or two could easily cause a loss, but we won those all.
tcat075 is offline   Reply With Quote