Thread: Larry Sanders
View Single Post
Old 02-08-2014, 05:07 PM   #18
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefant77 View Post
Apparently Sanders is "available" if some rumours are true. And i think there are some good chances its true.

Sanders (this summer a 4y flat 44m extension kicks in) has some maturity issues on and off the court and Henson has a breakout season. And thats the biggest reason since Sanders and Henson are basically identical players. The closest thing to Sanders in the league is (right now) Henson. So longterm the Bucks have to move one of them.

Of course:
Do the Mavs have enough to offer? Here again, our 2014 pick biting our ass. The Bucks probably demand to throw in Neal/Mayo/Ersan to dump salary. OJ is a no go for the Mavs and Ersan would hurt their 2014 cap space if they cant move him. On the other hand it would be a great backup for Dirk.

Sanders is kind of risky and his 11m price tag is maybe 1-2m too much (but the usual center price, i doubt Gortat goes for less than 9m this summer).

I would go for Sanders (and wouldnt have a problem to trade Larkin and Wright) and try to dump potential additional salary (Neal, Ersan). Then start to talk numbers with Dirk and try to clear enough salary to have ~12m for the Deng offer in the summer.

Calderon
Ellis
Deng
Dirk
Sanders

me gusta
I would do Larkin and Wright and our 2nd for Sanders.

To my eyes Sanders and Asik are the only Centers that are potential difference makers on the defensive end who may come available. I suppose Chandler as well if Melo leaves? Maybe Okafor? And it seems Asik is injured and a long shot to be dealt to a division rival.

There IS virtue in waiting and maintaining financial flexibility for the summer, while hanging onto assets. But to me guys like Gortat and Okafor are a notch below Sanders, Asik, Chandler, Hibbert, Gasol, etc. And there are no guarantees that a preferred FA Center will even come to Dallas. I think I would pull the trigger on the trade for Sanders. As Sefant said above, try to carve out enough cap room for Deng and you have two elite defenders in the starting lineup.

I do think Sanders value is climbing back up and he wont be a straight salary dump. Someone will have to give up a valuable asset or two or three to get him. Its possible I'm undervaluing our assets and its hard to account for the progress Wright and Larkin are deemed capable of by the MBT as I dont see them everyday in practice. I view their upsides as limited to nice role players due to inherent physical limitations. Both could be low end starters somewhere down the road with continued improvement I suppose. But at the two most loaded positions in the league they are more likely backups. Sanders on the other hand is a potentially elite defender and excellent rebounder- two of this teams gravest weaknesses at the position that is by far the leads scarcest and most valuable commodity.

Last edited by mac222b; 02-08-2014 at 05:21 PM.
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote