View Single Post
Old 10-19-2008, 11:41 PM   #78
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornDub View Post
I see where you're coming from on this. My counterargument is that, generally, when it's closer to the end of the season, teams that win are not going to lose any spots in the polls. That is to say, if Tech/OSU lose a game now, they would fall, and while they could creep back up if they won out, they would never actually overtake USC unless USC lost.

Now, if Tech/OSU climbed to within 1 spot of USC in the human polls by year's end, THAT would probably be enough to get them above them in the BCS because of USC's terrible computer rankings. But they would need to get that close to them in the human polls--they just count so much more than the computers.
I know what you're saying as well.. I just don't think you're placing enough value on what the two teams have to go through in the final 4-5 weeks. Neither team is high in the rankings yet simply because they haven't beaten anyone yet (other than OSU beating Mizzou).. but let's say that OSU beats Mizzou, Texas, OU, but loses to Tech.... they'd have 3 wins against then top 5 schools versus 1 loss against a top 10 school.... plus a win against Kansas and another win against Mizzou in the championship game. Voters realize how difficult the big12 south is and teams are going to be heavily rewarded for wins going down the stretch.. at the same time, they won't be nearly as heavily hit when they lose a game....
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote