View Single Post
Old 01-23-2010, 05:09 PM   #95
dalger
Golden Member

dalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
Good stuff. The injuries are absolutely a concern. And Iggy is absolutely a very gifted passer. I just question how much that helps with the way the Mavs run their offense. (Although I suppose I should give Carlisle enough credit to expect him to be able to adjust to the talents of a new swing man).

The prospect of pairing two defenders that elite on the wings is certainly interesting. And make no mistake, I would absolutely be excited about obtaining Iguodala. But the prospect of pairing two of the most efficient scorers in the NBA together makes me all tingly.
Both players would certainly help us and I'm not sure whose skills I'd want more on our team. The thing that makes me really uncomfortable as far as Martin is concerned is the amount of injuries he's already had. This is going to be his second consecutive year with more than 30 (!) DNP's due to injuries. Three seasons ago, he missed 21 games. Despite being a fairly young player, he hasn't been able to stay healthy for years now. Not to mention that he's never had to play well over 100 games a season as the result of an extended playoff run. How will his body react to that kind of pressure? Winning an NBA title these days is pretty much dependent on the respective team's health. Missing the second-best player or scorer could be almost impossible to overcome. The Celtics at full speed are a great team and definitely a contender, but not if Paul Pierce or Ray Allen were to miss a playoff series with an injury.

Martin's potential is great, but potential only helps when it's available. That's why I'd prefer Iguodala. He might not be as good a scorer as Martin, but he's still good and can also help offensively without actually scoring due to his great passing. His rebounding is very good and he can play some serious defense. Kidd, Iggy, Marion and Damp on the court at the same time could turn every opponent's offensive work into a nightmare. And with Iguodala instead of Josh, we'd be a better offensive team anyway.

I like both players, but Iggy's durability and Martin's injury issues are the difference maker for me. I'd also like the potential addition of Dalembert much more than someone like Nocioni.
dalger is offline   Reply With Quote