View Single Post
Old 09-14-2003, 09:45 PM   #5
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Clarett to challenge NFL age limit.

From what I understand, the outcome could depend on Gene Upshaw. A league is allowed to set limits on who can be drafted, as long as it's collectively bargained. That's why Stern is trying to get an age limit in the NBA. If he can get the players association to agree, it will be extremely difficult to challenge.

The NFL is arguing that its 3-year rule is part of the CBA. I don't think it's explicitly stated, but if he can get Gene Upshaw to agree, Clarett would have problems.

My take is that Upshaw is using it as leverage on get concessions from the league in the next bargaining session. That's why he has not really commented on the issue.