View Single Post
Old 08-12-2004, 02:04 PM   #52
Epitome22
Golden Member

Epitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the rough
Default RE:Surprise.....Civil suit filed against Kobe.....

Quote:
Originally posted by: LRB
Oh, so I get it now. The girl must be lying because she's poor white trash and Kobe is a successful black athelete. Somehow I new that you'd play the race card in this one. Kobe is black so he must be innocent. You must be about as big a bigot as they come. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img][/quote]

??? This statement confuses me, and has little to do with what I said or what you said. I never once accused the girl of lying, I never insinuated that Kobe was innocent based on his status as a black athlete. My playing the "race card" in this section isn't even particualrly accurate. Those sentences were in direct response to your statement that I seemed like the type of person who would be against rape victim's rights. A wildly inappropriate and shamefully libelous statement if there ever was one. I merely regurgitated your tactics.

Quote:

Actually it does have bearing. Just as much if not more than the girl's sexual history. It has bearing on Kobe's character. Certainly he shouldn't go to jail just for commiting adultery. However he placed himself in this position by at the very least commiting adultery. Had he kept his pants on, he would not be in this mess.
That does not mean bearing. You're right, if Kobe was not so quick to fornicate with any groupie that passed his way, against the vows he undertook with his wife, he wouldn't be in this situation right now. That's like saying if the lady in question wasn't trying to boff any guy with an NBA paycheck that crossed her path, she wouldn't be in this situation. Would you object to that? I certainly would. Being an adulturer has no bearing on whether or not Kobe is a rapist just like the fact that the woman in question was promiscuous and liked to fornicate with professional athletes has no bearing on whether or not she was raped.

Quote:
The stigma is nothing compared to that of being a rape victim[/quote]

That's conjecture and it hasn't been established that she is indeed a rape "victim"

Quote:
This young women's life is totally wrecked. There are few possible things that could be worse than to be raped and then put on trial for having been raped.[/quote]

If she was indeed raped, then yes that would suck.

Quote:
Nothing Kobe will experience in soley being accused of being a rapist will compare with what this young woman will go through for having the audacity to not lay down and take it like a whore as you obviously feel that she should have. [/quote]

Another wildly inappropriate statement that makes continued discussion all the more puzzling and bizarre. If you can't keep your emotions in check long enough to keep yourself from making libelous statements such as that I feel rape victims should have lied down and taken it like whores then you seriously need to seek therapy or remove yourself from the discussion. Be an adult.

Quote:
The percentage of those charges which are brought which are false are extremely small compared to legitimate charges. [/quote]

What figures do you have to back this up? I've done some research on this and I've found figures ranging as low as 2 percent to as high as 50 percent of chagres of rape ending up being false. Obviously there is some political partisanship involved in both sides of this research. Regardless, as long as it is established that people have brought forth charges of rape and continue to do so that end up being false then I will grant Kobe his entitled presumption of innocence.

Quote:
And all I've called for is for justice to be done.[/quote]

No, you've basically called for Kobe to be fitted for his Colorado penal league jersey regardless of his guilt or lack thereof.

Quote:
However when you're rich, you can simply out spend the prosecution to get the verdict you want. Couple that with someone who is famous who manipulates the media to taint the jury pool with half truths. That's exactly what Kobe has done. [/quote]

There you go again with the rich thing. It would be one thing if you were merely expressing doubts about the probability of a fair trial with rich athletes or celebritys involved; but it becomes more and more apparant that you seem to bear some sort of grudge against these people becuase of their fame and wealth and any outcome of justice ultimately involves them serving time in jail regardless of there innocence.

Quote:
Now if you were simply defending Kobe I could respect that. But you have judged this woman guilty and called her the most reprehensible of names. [/quote]

LOL, If that ain't the pea calling the celery green, I dunno what is.

Epitome22 is offline   Reply With Quote