View Single Post
Old 01-14-2009, 09:15 AM   #47
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quotes from Jon Daniels:

Link

Quote:
Q: Talk about the decision to move Young to third.

A: This is about what's best for the team. We feel very confident that this is the brest decision for us going forward. I understand Michael's feelings and his sentiment and we want to be respectful of that through the process.

Q: Why make the move and why make it now?

A: It's about what we have in the system. As we look to lay out all of our players and try to line up all of our championship-caliber players and get them on the field at the same time, we have a premium shortstop in the minors and we don't have that same caliber at third base. We do have Michael Young, a great player who's versatile enough and talented enough and works hard enough to do either. He could be an All-Star first baseman, second baseman, third baseman and shortstop and we feel it's in the best interest of the club is for him to play third base right now.

Q: Why do you think he's reluctant?

A: I don't want to put words in his mouth. He's worked extremely hard. He moved once for the team and we respect that and appreciate that. He's worked extremely hard at his craft and has become one of the best shortstops out there. We feel he can become one of the best third baseman out there as well.

Q: What happens if you get to spring training and he doesn't want to play third?

A: I think that's a hypothetical that I don't think will come to pass, but we'll deal with it at that time. I'd rather not speculate it at this point.

Q: Did you guys ask him to move?

A: I know a lot's been made of that as far as asked versus told. I think it's a little bit of semantics, but I understand how Michael took it. He took it to heart. We feel it's the best interest of the team for him to move to third base. That's how we presented it and how we explained it and there's no doubt about it that that's what we want and feel needs to happen.

Q: Does it create animosity toward other players that it could happen to them as well? Will you address it?

A: At spring training we have team meetings and depending upon where we are it might be addressed at that time. The sentiment I've gotten from other player and agents, I don't see it being an issue beyond that.

Q: Have you talked to Michael since this came out?

A: No. I've left a message. I did speak to his agent last night. I have had some communication with him and hope to talk more in the future.

Q: You talked a few years ago about 2009 being when you wanted to contend, how do you expect fans not to view this as pushing that back two or three years?

A: I was talking to one of our players today about this. We're certainly not discounting our ability to win this year. Depending on what other clubs do, that's a possibility. I feel confident that the way we line up with young players and some of the flexibility going into next season with a lot of free agents at the end of 2009 that we can certainly compete in 2009, but even more so the year after and the flexibility and our younger players that much closer.

Q: What's the fall back if Andrus isn't ready?

A: I don't think that's going to happen. Our evaluation is that we think Elvis is ready to compete and help us win at the big league level. As was explained to Elvis, I talked to him the other night, I told him, 'Hey, all we're presenting with you is an opportunity. The rest is up to you.' He's excited about it and he wants to get in the mix with the guys. I'm not going to speculate on if he'll fail because we don't think he's going to.

Q: Where are you on trade possibilities?

A: Unless you hear otherwise from us, there won't be a trade and Michael Young will be a Ranger going forward. We're not working toward [a trade] at all. Our goal is moving forward with Michael as a part of this club.

Q: What about some of the criticism that Michael has had on the web, like with Buster Olney's blog, where it looks like he's losing the PR battle?

A: I think that's unfortunate. I think the guy is allowed to have his reaction to something like this. Anybody who's been around Michael knows he's a tremendous person, a big member of the community. I do think that's unfortunate and that's certainly not coming from us and won't. I've talked to our sales group and our guys and you won't hear a negative word about Michael Young from the Rangers. He's a big part of what we're doing and will be going forward.

That is a man that is being respectful but sticking to his guns. Bravo JD, bravo.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote