View Single Post
Old 07-11-2002, 10:25 AM   #70
TheKid
Diamond Member

TheKid is on a distinguished road

he shoots even worse from 2pt and 3pt than he does on average...
yes, he scores 20.2 points but that's on more than 18!!!!!!! shots a game.

As I've said before, numbers aren't always necessarily a tell tale sign... For instance, we can take some of Dirk's offensive games against Sacramento.. Look at his percentages at what he shot (with the exception of 3 point range) and it looks like he shot terrible. However I can't remember which game it was, actually I think it was game 2 that we won.. Dirk shot bad overall for the game, but when it counted, Dirk hit his shots.

Now someone who may try to argue that Dirk takes a ton of shots can say, "Well it took him 20 shots to get 30 points." (hypothically speaking) Maybe it did, but if someone scores 10 or 12 of those points in a crucial part of the game, then you know what, I don't have a problem with it.

That's why I don't have as big a problem with someone like Iverson shooting 40% because as he's shown MANY TIMES when it's on the line, he's going to step up.

Just want to add, if you look at shooting percentages, smaller guys always shoot a lower percentage (John Stockton is the exception to the rule, however he doesn't shoot nearly as much as Van Exel does)due to the fact they have a more challenging time getting their shot off.