View Single Post
Old 10-15-2008, 01:52 PM   #105
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitproof
UL,
I guess it would depend on how much those people needed help. I wouldn't say no absolutely. I can see how I differ with some people here as this will violently disagree with some people. Forget Mormon, how about something of an Muslim persuasion? For me, the ends (helping those less fortunate) would justify the means (going through some religious blackbox).
I think that when you think it through, you need to think about the mechanism to which you are granting the power. I think the mass of uncoordinated individuals is a lot less corruptable than a government (or some church or whatever). Today it's just a bit more of richer people's money, tomorrow its your bread.

you can always go out and give more money directly. And you can always go out and convince others to give more money directly. I think those are better ways than giving someone else the responsibility to force us to give as much money as that someone else wants us to give.

Last edited by Usually Lurkin; 10-15-2008 at 01:53 PM.
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote