View Single Post
Old 05-26-2004, 02:52 PM   #5
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold
Default RE:Crush the Insurgents in Iraq

Quote:
Originally posted by: Mavdog
Quote:
Originally posted by: LRB
Quote:
Originally posted by: Mavdog
It only took the south about a century to completely recover from the destruction wrought by the war between the states and Sherman's march.

The Iraq answer is not more destruction, it is rebuilding.
I don't know where you came from, but this is hardly the case. Having been born a centrury after the civil war in the south and having vivid memories of my childhood, I can tell you for a fact that it was long before a century that recovery took place. In fact my grandmother who was born, raised, and lived in the south her whole life that by the time of here early childhood, the late 1890's, restoration had taken place then. Most history books list reconstruction of the south as having completed no later than the late 1800's, so 35 years maximum. That's a hell of a lot less than a century even at worst case estimate.

Try to at least get your facts reasonably straight before using them to shoot down someone else's opinion.

oh yeah? well my grandmom told me...

Tremendous failure of logic and history in your post LRB. Are we relying on what our older relatives say to support positions? not likely...at least for me, I'll rely on the facts.

If the "restoration" of the South's industry had taken place by the "late 1890's", why is it that the south had less GSP than the northeast, the mideast, and the great lakes up until the 1960's, finally surpassing them in the 1980's? The facts are "reasonably straight"that it was not until the last half of the 20th Century that the south totally recoverd from the war.

You should try to rely on the actual facts and not on what your grandmother told you.
That's one hell of a jump to blame all differences in GSP solely to the Civil War. I haven't checked your facts on the GSP, but I'll give that too you. So if you want to judge recovery as being until the south surpassed one of the other regions in GSP, then sure go ahead. However that is not what most historians, who just happen to agree with Granny and all the many other people who I personally knew, that the reconstruction was complete by the late 1800's.

And who knows it make take centruries before Iraq has more GSP "than the northeast, the mideast, and the great lakes." [img]i/expressions/rolleye.gif[/img]