Thread: Now what?
View Single Post
Old 06-29-2022, 11:26 AM   #499
purplefrog
Platinum Member

purplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
Cheapskate?

Signing the guard to a $30M contract would have cost the Mavericks a total of $130M in salary/tax in one season for Brunson alone.

Cuban is a billionaire, but that tax rate is absurd. The tax alone for Brunson would match the salary of every other player combined and the repeat tax just keeps wrecking us and would prevent us from retaining Wood if he works out.
If you are going to compete with the Warriors and Clippers, then you have to pay up or be content with just making the playoffs and maybe winning a first round series. Those owners are wiling to take a deep breath and do what is necessary to compete year-in and year-out. The system stinks (I agree with Thespiralgoeson) but its the game being played right now. If the reported salary numbers are accurate, then the take away is the Mavs were outbid, not JB wanted to play for the Knicks. It may be both, but it is most certainly not only the latter.

Why not offer a five year contract worth $125M? That is at least more total money than what the Knicks are offering. And P.S. I don't care about Cuban's money. The Warriors are going through this right now with extensions on the horizon for Wiggins, Looney and Poole. I wager that at least two in that group re-sign and GSW goes deeper into the luxury tax. Clippers are positioning themselves to do the same.

An alternative to my rant, is that Nico has prepared for JB's departure and has a plan that will make us all very happy. I hope that is the case.

Last edited by purplefrog; 06-29-2022 at 11:27 AM.
purplefrog is online now   Reply With Quote