View Single Post
Old 05-11-2010, 08:28 PM   #23
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayliss View Post
Well, that's not what Jthig said, now was it?

He said:

So that's not a steal when you factor in that JJB is not the backup PG for the Mavs. JJB is the defacto SG on most nights. Hell, he is the SF on some nights when they go with the 3 guard lineup.

And let's not even get into the "he is what he is" and the Mavs already have a young PG/SG who can defend better than him, rebound better, and shoot better. And having JJB may definitely hamper that player's development.

So there is definitely a **downside** to JJB staying. And how this simple and indisputable truth eludes so many in this thread is beyond me.
1) I'm well aware of what jthig said. I'm so aware of it that pretty much all I've done in this thread is argue in favor of his analysis of the Mavs decision to exercise the option on his final year

2) JJB playing 20 mpg next year would be either a failure in coaching, a failure to fill the need at SG this summer, or both. Picking up the option on his final year guarantees neither, and may prove helpful in working a trade for a deserving starter.

3) Giving an inexpensive player minutes in excess of his pay grade doesn't make that inexpensive player less of a bargain. That's just silly.

4) Booby might not be here next year.

5) JJB might stay a Maverick next year, but it'll be at least a couple months before we get any clear indications about that one way or the other. The (non)news that the Mavs are exercising the option on his contract does not qualify as a clear indication.