Thread: Rangers
View Single Post
Old 07-02-2001, 01:04 PM   #5
Flying Tiger
Golden Member

Flying Tiger will become famous soon enoughFlying Tiger will become famous soon enough

<< Caminiti expects to be released >>

By Jesse Sanchez
TexasRangers.com

ARLINGTON, Texas -- The Ken Caminiti era as a Texas Ranger could be over. The 38-year old third baseman said he expects the Rangers to release him Monday.

Caminiti has been on the disabled list since June 17 with a pulled left hamstring.

&quot;Something's going down tomorrow,&quot; Caminiti told TexasRangers.com before the Rangers' game with Oakland on Sunday. &quot;I think I'm going to come off (the disabled list) and they're going to release me.&quot;

Caminiti is set to receive an additional $3.2 million for the remainder of this season and in 2002 if he is on the roster or disabled list on August 15. But with the Rangers 27 games out of first-place in the American League West and rebuilding as part of Rangers owner Tom Hicks &quot;Three-Year Plan&quot;, an aging veteran baseball player is not part of the Rangers' future.

Caminiti signed with Texas as free agent on December 10.

&quot;We'll make a decision tomorrow,&quot; Rangers General Manager Doug Melvin said. &quot;You never know, Mike Lamb might get hurt tonight. We'll make a decision tomorrow.&quot;

The Rangers called up Mike Lamb on June 17 from Triple-A Oklahoma City to play third base in Caminti's absence. Scott Sheldon has also played third base this season and Randy Velarde, a veteran utility infielder, is scheduled to begin rehab assignment for a pulled hamstring next week. Velarde took groundballs at third base during the Rangers' last homestand --June 19 to 21.

Caminiti, the 1996 National League Most Valuable player, has said his hamstring is not 100 percent healthy but he is strong enough to play. He has been taking batting practice and running in the outfield at The Ballpark in Arlington since Friday. On Sunday, his agent Rick Licht watched from the stands. Licht and Melvin are scheduled to meet on Monday.

&quot;I've been swinging the bat every day and taking groundballs,&quot; Caminiti said. &quot;I really haven't missed much. I feel good. I can play.&quot;

In 13 seasons with Houston, San Diego and Texas, Caminiti has a career .273 batting average with 233 home runs, 967 RBIs in 1696 games. This season, he has hit .232 with nine home runs, 25 RBIs in 54 games.

Last season, the three-time All-Star played in 59 games, his fewest of his career, before being sidelined on June 15 with a right wrist injury. In 1999 his missed 79 games with a strained right calf muscle.

Jesse Sanchez is the site reporter for texasrangers.com. He can be contacted via email at jsanchez@texasrangers.com.