View Single Post
Old 07-09-2016, 04:58 AM   #6
Cabbage

Cabbage is on a distinguished road

I have only one jersey at the moment, but this is my favorite of all jerseys that I ever had. And cool story in opinion with the jersey as well.

Last autumn, I was going to travel to Germany to see Dirk playing his last games for the national team during European Championship 2016. The group stage games were held in Berlin. Im originally from Estonia, so I was waiting for my plane in Tallinn. I was travelling alone. My girlfriend drove to the airport with me and wished me an awesome trip and pulled out a surprise out of her bag. The gift was 2000-01 season Dirks retro jersey, the jersey I liked very much way before the trip and I planned to buy it one day. I pulled it over my sweater and took it off 4 hours later when I arrived in one of Berlins hostels. I wore that jersey on every game that tournament.

Last game was against Spain. Germany managed to loose the game as Schroeder missed a free throw in the last seconds. They were out of the playoffs, so it was supposed to be Dirks last game for the national team. Very emotional moment after the game I will never forget.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezdGK5Z7kjg

I met one German guy and he told me there is a place behind the hall were we can see and meet Dirk and other players. It was raining that night. We saw all the other players, took photos, high fives etc, but waited for Dirk to come out for about an hour. But finally he came, came to meet with his fans, held his own black marker in his hand to sign autographs and take pictures, despite it was raining. It was awesome. So he happened to sign the jersey my girlfriend gave me as a gift 6 days earlier and made that trip very special. I framed the jersey a few months later and it looks magnificent. This picture was taken right after I arrived in hostel the same night.

https://scontent-amt2-1.xx.fbcdn.net...7e&oe=57ED7595

Last edited by Cabbage; 07-09-2016 at 05:07 AM.
Cabbage is offline   Reply With Quote