View Single Post
Old 05-24-2004, 12:37 PM   #9
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold
Default RE:So we bombed an innocent wedding? Sounds like more hogwash to me...

Quote:
Originally posted by: FullBurst41
Here's something else. I'm not going to say which was the truth, but I do believe that there is something seriously smelly about this story..

The US military officials say that they were fired upon by militants and called in the flyboys, right? Now, how many did these bombs kill again? Forty-something? That's one hell of a tally for the army! Whoop-dee-whoop, forty militants down the drain, that's bound to fire you up. Only the question is, are the militants truly THAT stupid? I mean, they're obviously not very intelligent, but one might presume they know a thing or two about military tactics. One thing that has always had me perplexed in martyrdom, is that they're all so ready to die, but you'll have to catch them first before they're willing to point that gun at you and let you shoot them.

Of course, perhaps what people say here is true Perhaps the militants more or less orchestrated this whole thing. I cant say, I don't know the facts, all I can say is this: if this story is rue (as in, the wedding being bombed), I can't help but shake the feeling that if the soldiersin the field are not too familiar with the traditions in the country they're serving in, then whatmakes so many people on this forum qualified to downgrade the Iraqi people? The soldiers are the ones confronted with them every day, after all, they're the ones fighting and dying every day, trying to clean up this mess.

I agree there is definitely something smelly about this strory. And the story of the US bombing a wedding with only the current facts would not pass mustard with any legitimate court nor even with Snoopes.com.

1. Why would Iraqi's have a wedding "at a remote desert site in western Iraq near the Syrian border"?
2. Why was there a dormitory at the site with "more than 300 sets of bedding gear in it and about 100 sets of prepackaged clothing"?
3. Why was there such a large set of weapons at the wedding?
4. Why was there explosive equipment at the wedding?
5. Why was it that "none of the bodies had any identification of any kind – no ID cards, no wallets, no pictures"?
6. Why was it that the US had muliple sources of intelligence that directed them to investigate the area in the 1st place?