View Single Post
Old 12-20-2008, 08:21 AM   #2
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Stadium's Significance Not Lost On Cowboys

IRVING, Texas - The Dallas Cowboys thoroughly understand the importance of Saturday night's game at Texas Stadium.

Win, and they inch closer to that most coveted playoff berth in the NFC, and with a lot of help could possibly even clinch that wild-card spot with one game to play.

But they also realize more than 63,000 people will converge on Texas Stadium for this nationally-televised cable television broadcast on NFL Network with ulterior emotions involved - the last regular-season game, and most likely last game to be played here in the 38-season history of the stadium.

The Cowboys will be moving into their new stadium currently under construction in Arlington, Texas, for the start of the 2009 season. Since the team is unlikely to play a home playoff game even if they qualify as a wild-card team, this is it - unless they advance to the NFC title game as the first-seeded wild-card team against the second-seeded wild-card team. Only then would they play again at the stadium.

And while many of these current Cowboys do not have the same lasting memories as those who have come before them, the meaning of this final game played at the stadium, which became home to the Cowboys during the 1971 season, has not been lost on them.

They know, and that includes the 28-year-old quarterback.

"There's so much tradition, and so many great things that have happened in that stadium, it's kind of neat to sit back and think about some of the things that you've watched or seen. Just how many big games, or different great players who have been in situations makes you think how proud you are to be part of the organization," Romo said.

"I know the fans are going to be excited, I know the players will be excited and obviously the organization is behind it, so from that perspective, we'd like to send it out on the right note."

Romo is not alone, so let's check in with some of the other players and coaches on this team, some having been here for just a few seasons and some for quite some time, but all leaving Saturday night when the lights are turned off for the final time with a vivid memory of what will be the 313th game the Cowboys have played at Texas Stadium.

WR Terrell Owens: "I'm part of history, and obviously it's the last game here at Texas Stadium. That stadium holds a lot of memories, and I'm pretty sure each fan will hold something different. We're going to try to win to make it that much more of a special day."

C Andre Gurode: "Besides winning the Big 12 Championship there in college (Colorado), the other memory that stands out to me in Texas Stadium is Deion Sanders trying to shake Jerry Rice's hand at the 40-yard line. He reached over and tried to shake his hand before the play and then Jerry beat him on a slant, so I'll have to talk to Deion about that play."

TE Jason Witten: "There's been a lot of history there, lot of great players and great teams that played in there. To be able to be a part of that is something I'll remember for a long time.

(Best memory) "Probably my first game. I think you know about it all and you hear about the history and the open stadium and all that stuff, but just as far as the experience of playing for America's Team, that's something you'll always remember."

S Pat Watkins: "The blocked field goal, that's my favorite one (vs. Minnesota in 2007), so thank you to Chris Canty by the way for the blocked field goal (that he recovered and returned for a 68-yard touchdown). But yeah, that's my favorite. Of course, my first NFL touchdown was in Texas Stadium, so it's going to be a memory I'll take with me forever."

WR Roy Williams: "It's my 27th birthday, so I hope it's special for everybody and hopefully we can get a win. If we lose the last game in Texas Stadium it's going to haunt a lot of people for a long time. My first touchdown here as a Dallas Cowboy. I scored here before with Detroit and in high school, but never with the star on the side of my helmet, so I think that's my favorite memory."

Secondary coach Dave Campo: "I'd have to say Emmitt (becoming the NFL's all-time leading rusher). Being a part of history I think is something that would excite anybody. And Emmitt is such a great person and going through the struggles that we did, that he did that at the end of his career here, for him to be able to get that honor and for me to be part of it was special to me."

QB Tony Romo: "It will be very important to the organization and to the fans. We're going into it, obviously, hoping not to end anything on a sour note at the stadium that's got so many great memories. It's been an inspiration to many of those young guys who have come in to play here to look at the tradition and see what players have (done), where certain people were at this point or did this here, and it's just really exciting when you look at it."

Head coach Wade Phillips: "I think the final game certainly in Texas Stadium, it's historical. I'm old enough to appreciate something historical. These young guys - I've seen a lot of history so I place more value on it probably. I think it's a great stadium and all it stands for and all the games that have been played there and all the coaches and players and fans that have been there, I think it's a special game . . . I think it will be fun to see all those people and kind of remember they blazed a trail for us."