View Single Post
Old 11-27-2020, 01:21 PM   #40
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA-Mavs-Fan View Post
This answers some Qs:

Shams Charania @ShamsCharania · 37 min
Guard JJ Barea is signing a guaranteed one-year, $2.6M deal to return to the Dallas Mavericks, sources tell @TheAthleticNBA @Stadium.

Tim MacMahon @espn_macmahon · 33 min
Sources: J.J. Barea has agreed to a one-year deal with the Mavs for the veteran's minimum. This gives the Mavs 16 guaranteed contracts -- one over the regular-season roster limit -- so there will be a competition for a spot in camp.
The Mavs have not officially signed No. 31 overall pick Tyrell Terry, but he will fill one of the 15 roster spots. Source: Mavs plan to sign him to a contract similar to 2018 No. 33 pick Jalen Brunson, who has a 4-year, $6.1M deal. No. 36 pick Tyler Bey will be on a 2-way deal.
I don't get the Barea thing? I guess we just have the cash left and we reward Barea for being awesome. Maybe lights a fire under the young guys even though Terry will probably win out. I like that Rick wants to keep guys hungry. The only problem is that once Terry gets a deal, if we cut him, we lose his rights. We can't just bump him down to the G-League while retaining rights. Most likely, Barea just gets waived and signs on as a coach while collecting that guaranteed money as a reward for loyalty.

Also I love that Brunson contract. They don't always work out (Roby and others), but when they do, you lock up a guy for cheap and long. 4 years 6 mill is a bargain for a guy like Brunson who has averaged 20 mpg over his first two seasons. Successful teams need those guys who produce but aren't paid much. If Terry sucks? He didn't really hurt our cap since he's barely over a cap hold. If he's good, then you just secured a potential second-stringer/starter for minimum money for multiple years of Doncic's reign.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 11-27-2020 at 01:24 PM.
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote