View Single Post
Old 04-15-2004, 08:41 AM   #9
Mavdog
Diamond Member

Mavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud of
Default RE:Fun with Statistics

Quote:
Originally posted by: FishForLunch
Quote:
There is one big accomplishment of the war in Iraq, Bush has managed to get the Sunni and the Shia to work together...unfortunately it is working in unison against us
Mavdog pull your head out the sand the Sunni resistance in Fallujah was comprised of Islamist and common criminals. As for Sadr he is disliked by most Shia, and now he is negotiating to disband his militia. I have faith in the Marines to get the Fallujah situation under control, please give them time. It is a difficult fight but the marines will crush those thugs. Sadr over-estimated his popular support and now he is retreating fast.

Yes Bush managed to get the Sunni and Shia thugs together, better that it happened now before the hand over on June 30th. We now know who the trouble makers are.

I know you wont belive me but here is a account from an Iraqi.
Yes, the attack on the civilian convoy that resulted in the vivid pictures of mutalated bodies in Fallujah was the work of those you call "common criminals" or perhaps true Islamist radicals. To extend that to all those who have vocally or physically opposed the US in the last weeks is not accurate it seems.

The confrontation by al Sadr was unleashed IMHO because al Sadr believed the time was right as the US was already focused on the Fallujah situation and he could make gains in his desire to be the leader of the Shia. Why he would act now rather than after June 30 is a good question, perhaps he isn't as bright as he thinks he is. Many Shia do not approve of the new Iraq Constitution as it does not give them true control of Iraq, which they though would happen as they are the majority of the people, but guarantees that the Kurds or the Sunnis will have equal control. al Sadr is playing on that frustration. The June 30 deadline is merely a function of Bush desiring to minimize Iraq as an election issue IMHO, it is very clear that the Iraqis are not ready, their framework to establish a legitimate government is not ready, their civil authorities are not ready...the only ones ready are the Bush WH and campaign staff. Oh, and those like al Sadr

It is difficult to conclude just why al Sadr made his move when he did. Some have speculated there is a role behind his decision of the Iranians or Hizbollah, If that were the case then why would the Iranian clerics call for him to stand down? A very confusing scene to say the least, yet to merely call al Sadr a "thug" and without any support of the Iraqi people is contradicted by the verbal support as well as the thousands who rally to his side. Are there much more who owe their allegiance to Ayatollah Sistani? clearly yes, yet it is fair to say that many of these people sympathize with al Sadr's cause due to the current situation in Iraq. al Sadr acted because he knew the common Iraqi felt these frustrations with the disappointment of the structure of the Constitution, American control of their country that was not delivering the security, the safety and the near term of improving those conditions wasn't too positive.

From everthing that I have read, from both domestic and intl news organizations, is the Iraqis are very frustrated by the chaotic social and political situation. They are not seeing progress in some of the basic needs- security for instance, the reliable delivery of services like electricity, water and sewer. They are not parading through the streets extolling the virtues of our administration of their country are they?

Yes, the US forces can gain control of Fallujah by intense combat. This may be a short term victory that results in many more Iraqis prepared to act against us however, we need to use caution in how this pacification of Fallujah is accomplished. If the Iraqis view the US as causing many innocent Iraqis to suffer for the actions of a few in Fallujah, we have given our enemies new supporters. If the US attacks the mosques where al Sadr's fighters are holed up, we will give to al Sadr much sympathy from the Iraqi people. A very difficult line to walk.

No, I don't have "my head in the sand" as the very real difficulties I have mentioned truly exist. If you believe that these events are minor, or that the average Iraqi is pleased with the current state of affairs in their country a year after we invaded and is solidly behind the US policies there, it is you who has their "head in the sand".
Mavdog is offline   Reply With Quote