View Single Post
Old 01-06-2003, 06:55 AM   #75
David
Golden Member

David is on a distinguished road

<<

<< Mark holds Nelson accountable. I discussed in detail what I thought.

It's not as black and white as Nelson getting out of the 2nd round. I think their is a perception problem going on here. The Mavs are not Nelson. Nelson is not the Mavs. Credit, and blame, goes out all up and down the organization.

Nelson's role is coach on game day. Rebounding, dribbling, scoring, shooting etc. is up to the players. There is a lot that goes into it. For example, Nelson can put a player in position to succeed but it is up to the player to succeed.

My view is not so narrow that I put it all off on Nelson, positive or negative.
>>

A lot of words to basically say:

I will not give an opionion one or another on Nellie's coaching in the playoffs.

That would've been much easier.
>>

The Mavs are currently 27-5. Do we hold Nelson accountable?

It looks like someone has the view that if the Mavs lose, then it's Nelson's fault. If the Mavs win, then, it's the Mavs that win and Nelson has nothing to do with it.

Suppose the Mavs play the Kings in the playoffs and each game is close but the Mavs lose the series. The Kings go on to win the championship. Is it Nelson's fault? Should Mark fire Nelson? Is it win the championship this year or you are gone Nellie? I suspect in Bayliss-ville, Nelson is gone and in David-ville Nelson keeps his job and the Mavs try again next year.

The other team gets credit for being able to play the game, in my view. Sometimes my team loses because the other team is better or the other team is better, that night. That happens. Sometimes the refs have a hand in the outcome of the game. Sometimes the refs swallow their whistle and sometimes the refs call a foul on Shawn Bradley because they expect him to make a foul, whether he fouls or not.

It looks like, for the Mavs to challenge for the championship, they need Bradley in the game to make their defense works. If, in the playoffs, the Mavs get little to nothing out of Bradley, they will get beat by the better teams that are close to the Mavs in talent. Will it be Nelson's fault if the Mavs get beat in that scenario, or is it Bradley's fault, or is it the refs fault?

Does Donnie have what it takes to lead the Mavs to the championship in the playoffs, should he take over? Can Mark hire a college coach to take the Mavs to the championship? Can Mark hire an NBA retread coach, who is not currently under contract, to lead the Mavs to the championship? Is the cure for the predicament the Mavs are in, to fire Nelson and start over?

I remember, pre-Nelson, when the Mavs were a joke.

I remember after Nelson took over and Nelson made the wrong move and traded Mashburn. Then Nelson made the wrong move and cleaned house and made the firesale trade and got Bradley, among others.

I remember when Nelson made the wrong move and drafted some German that no one had heard of. Then Nelson traded an unprotected first round pick and got Phoenix's third string point guard.

Nelson has made the wrong move all up and down the line, failing as he went. Yet, somehow, the Mavs have gotten just a little bit better every year, no thanks to Nellie. It's been the players that have won the games and Nellie that has lost them. I don't see how Nelson has lasted as long as he has, no better than he has done.
David is offline   Reply With Quote