View Single Post
Old 09-11-2007, 11:42 PM   #25
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog
Your statistics are twisted... What the hell does a PROJECTED 61 win season have to do with an ACTUAL 67 win season? Where do you get this nonsense? Is this Basketball 501???
It's not "Basketball 501." It's a statistical model that was formed taking into account decades of NBA basketball and is generally recognized as being a legitimate and reliable measure of performance.

And see, the thing is, if the Mavs had indeed won 61 last year, you wouldn't hear a hue and cry of "But, but, but...we won 61 games!" We won 60 back in '03. We had the best record in the league that year, or at least tied for it. But you sure didn't hear a lot of people saying that since we had the best record we also had the best team. Again, if the Mavs had won 61 last year and still did what they did in the playoffs, do you think that most everyone would feel as though they were the hands-down best team in the league (better than the Spurs, even) and simply got a bad break in the playoffs? You should stop and think about that for a while.

Quote:
Statistics can't dunk... Statistics don't get injured... Actually, statistics don't do much of anything but frame an argument exactly how you'd like it to be framed...
Well, buddy, I try to use statistics honestly. The irony, of course, is that 67-15 is also a statistic.

Quote:
And yes, only ONE team could consistently beat us last season - your precious statistics prove that...
What exactly do you mean by that? Do you mean that the Mavs would have beaten the Spurs in the playoffs if it had come to that? Or the Suns? Think about that "ONE team" argument means. My ears hear it is saying that if Golden State didn't make the playoffs the Mavs would necessarily be the champs right now. My friend, that is going to be a difficult proposition for you to support.

Quote:
Maybe you'd enjoy this team a bit more if you approached the game with your heart, rather than your head...
I wouldn't even bother ranting if my heart wasn't in it. I hate this idea that if you support the Mavs, which I do, you must necessarily believe that they are the best team in the league...that they were beaten by the "ONE team" that could beat them...that they were robbed by the refs...that by winning "67" games they should have been granted a title. That's bullshit. Truth is, I do NOT think the Mavs are necessarily the best team in the league. I think they are in a group with the best of them, though. And I think that if they can make improvements they will have a chance to come out on top. A chance, mind you.

The minute I start thinking that only David Stern or the Golden State Warriors can keep our team from winning a title is the minute I *do* start thinking with my head and not my heart--but thinking very, very naively.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote