View Single Post
Old 10-21-2011, 02:12 AM   #83
xrobx
Diamond Member

xrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkadirkastan View Post
That is a strange quirk. But my question pertains to the bottom line: Does this format actually increase your overall chance to win the series? Perhaps the likelihood of a 3-2 edge is slightly boosted. But it's also a 3-2 edge of the worst kind, since the final two games are both scheduled on the road.
In the NBA finals, out of the eight times a series has been 3-2 in favor of the lower seeded team going into games 6 and 7 in a 2-3-2 format, the lower seeded team won game 6 (and the series) five of those eight times. The other three times the higher seeded team defended home court and won the series in 7 games. It's hardly anything conclusive with such a small sample size, but it suggests at the very least that having a 3-2 edge going on the road for games 6 and 7 hardly puts a team at a disadvantage....and the momentum of being up 3-2 (or a team being down 2-3 with their backs against the wall and added pressure) must somehow factor into it.

I'm not sure about the MLB stats in this format, I'm too tired to look it up right now.