View Single Post
Old 10-21-2011, 11:46 AM   #91
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornDub View Post
I think it absolutely does. It depends on what you think about the psychological impact of being one game from elimination when the other team isn't, but I think it's just huge--considerably more important than where the games are played. I'll take up 3-2 with two road games over down 2-3 with two home games, and I'll take it 100% of the time. Sometimes you'll lose both, but I think it's just a much better position to be in.
You're right, it is better to be up 3-2 than down no matter what. But this is how it balances out:

You are more likely to be up 3-2 than down 3-2. However, your chances of capitalizing on that lead are the lowest of all possible 3-2 leads.

You are less likely to fall behind 3-2 than take a 3-2 lead. However, if you do fall behind 3-2, your chances of a comeback are slim to none. This is the scenario that generally goes ignored by those that love having the middle three games.

And Dan, yes it is great that the Rangers can close out the series by sweeping at home. But this would be true in either format.
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote