Thread: 2018 NBA Draft
View Single Post
Old 01-31-2018, 04:06 PM   #385
Magnum_3_Ball
Banned

Magnum_3_Ball has a spectacular aura aboutMagnum_3_Ball has a spectacular aura aboutMagnum_3_Ball has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac222b View Post
BPA all the way. Let it sort itself out after the fact
I definitely agree. A lot of the talk here is like this is going to be our last season to miss the playoffs. I just don't see it.

First, Barea is going to be 34 at the start of the next year. How much longer before he's lost a step (or 2)?

Second, while all of the impact players in the NBA are declining their mega $20 million plus player options because they can get a better contract due to market demand, it's expected that Wes Matthews is going to opt into his $18.6 mil player option for next year. What does that tell you about his abilities? Furthermore, can we bank on him being here in 2019-2020?

Next, Dirk is giving us quality minutes. He may retire after this season, although I think most expect him to play one more year.

I mean, playoffs? Look at Utah this year. They have Donovan Mitchell, Rudy Gobert, Rodney Hood, Ricky Rubio, Derrick Favors, and I like their complimentary players over ours too. Utah is 3.5 games out of the 8th seed right now, and no one is really expecting them to make the playoffs this season. There also only 3.5 games from matching Memphis in the Western Conference seedings.

So, I don't buy the we're one player away notion, or this is our last year in the lottery. The reality is we have at least 1 more year if not 2 more years in the lottery.

I know the Mavs will be active in Free Agency, but name me the last big free agent the Mavs signed? Harrison Barnes? He's nice & all, but A) We way overpaid for him, and B) He's putting up a lot of empty stats for a bad team. It's not like he's Durant, and you can put him on the Spurs & he's still a 20 ppg scorer. If you put Barnes on Utah, his production takes a significant hit.

I'm not buying into the Mavs sign a big time free agent with all of our cap space theories either.

So, if that's the case, then why not take the Best Player Available? This team has multiple holes. If DSJ & Trae Young are too small to defend together, then you address that problem down the road. In the meantime, you focus on how much pressure you can apply to opponents on the offensive end with that tandem.

Another thing I think people are forgetting about Trae Young. Look at photos from Steph Curry's rookie year, and then look at recent photos of Steph. He looks like a bean pole his rookie year. Now, he looks like he could play running back for the Cowboys. Obviously, Trae Young will develop his body in a similar fashion too, so he's not pushed around in this league.
Magnum_3_Ball is offline   Reply With Quote