View Single Post
Old 08-13-2004, 06:18 PM   #10
NBAGnome

NBAGnome is on a distinguished road
Default RE:Darryl Dawkins on the difference between "black basketball" and "white basketball"

Interesting article.

But on the subject of team USA, I would disagree with him, i watched the last 4 exhibition games and they were playing in a much more team oriented way. Wade and Marion especially have sacrificed their offense and are doing the other things you need. Marbury is trying to distribute the ball, takes few shots, and mostly defers to Iverson. You have Duncan and Iverson who are taking the most shots, thus far Iverson has provided their perimeter game, hitting 3s, and Duncan is being the go to guy. At first LeBron was taking too many perimeter shots, and he still takes a few he shouldn't, but hes reeled in quite a bit and i've seen the growth from one game to the next in him accepting his role. Odom is playing good defense, though he lacks the bulk to play center and hes seeing a bit of time there. Overall 8 out of 12 players are shooting over 50%.

Actually, the only person who is playing out of control is Carmelo Anthony, hes been coming off the bench, but has taken the 2nd most shots next to Duncan for a combined .385% over 6 exhibition games. In the last game, he only played 7 minutes after missing a number of ill advised shots. I'm curious to see how much time he gets in the real deal. LeBron and Marion may get more of Carmelo's minutes, especially in tough games.