View Single Post
Old 12-26-2009, 04:01 PM   #4
Mavericks Rockets Fan

Mavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalmations202 View Post
Salary cap in BBall won't work because the TV dollars aren't the leagues. Each team gets their TV money, and only the "baseball" revenue is shared. Hence the Brewers who have a $6M a year TV deal can't compete with the Yankees who have a $200M a year TV deal. Lets face it TV pays for viewership, and unless this becomes league dollars -- you will never have equality.

Players do not want the Yankees and Boston to stop spending. They get more money. Owners do not want to give up their cash cow, and there is no way to make them.

If you do what they are doing now, they are doing some revenue sharing when the money reaches a certain amount. This gets them closer, but is no where near equality between teams.

I love baseball, but the changes you would make seem like a good idea to me.

Personally I think the gates, parking, concessions, and TV should be shared equally within the league, and the merchandise should be all the owners. IE the owner who puts together the better team, and the better marketing makes more money, but getting fans to buy more merchandise. Of course it would kill the Yankees ownership, etc., but not horribly since they lead sales of merchandise as well.

Follow the money, and you can find answers for most things.

With that said, a 150 games season is cool. Not sure your numbers will add up though when some division teams have 4 some 5 and some 6 in the division. So you would have to restructure. 3 games against the other league -- who gets home field? etc.
Point well taken about the salary cap being impractical in baseball right now. IMO, they really do need to make those TV dollars the league's so they actually have revenue sharing and can institute a salary cap [and finally get some parity!]. It just saddens me to see a team such as Toronto trade away an ace like Roy Halladay because they can't afford to keep him...

With regards to the inter-league games, you simply alternate the home-field. Ex: the first year the Yankees go to St. Louis to play the Cardinals. The next year the Cardinals go to New York to play the Yankees and so on...

You are right - you would have to restructure the divisions. I didn't mention all this because my post was already long enough. But, for example, they could move the Houston Astros from the NL Central to the AL West. This would even out the AL-NL imbalance. Also all the divisions would have 5 teams then. And your schedule could look like:

4 division foes x 12 = 48
10 other league foes x 6 = 60
14 inter-league foes x 3 = 42
Total = 150

[This is hardly a final version. It assumes that every AL team doesn't play one NL team and vice-versa. The details of how this would be done could be quite complicated...]