Thread: Andre Iguodala
View Single Post
Old 02-07-2010, 01:11 PM   #204
dalger
Golden Member

dalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcat075 View Post
For the record I don't want AI here, at least as a first option. I'd rather have Kevin Martin. Screw his poor defense, 3/5 of our starters are defensive starters anyway and don't really have offense. AI is a solid player, but I don't think he's consistent enough scorer to be that #2 scorer we've been wanting. Puts up a lot of 3's, only shoots around 30%, and only shoots around 42% on FG's. Don't get me wrong, I love his defense and rebounding, but we're looking for another scorer...we don't need this.

As I was saying about Martin, he provides that 20 PPG that we want (still averaging that this year despite it being a "down year") and his defense can be covered up by starting Marion, by starting Dampier, and by starting Kidd. And vice versa, it helps cover up those threes offensive woes.
Our problem in recent weeks hasn't been the offensive end (when was the last time we didn't score 100+ points?). Instead, we played horrible defense and allowed pretty much every team to shoot 49% and better. In the end, even a pure scorer like Martin couldn't make up for that, not to mention that it would probably lead to our defense being even worse. Whether we have three defensive starters in our starting lineup or not doesn't really matter when our opponents shoot 50% from the floor. Perhaps, these supposed defensive starters aren't all that good on defense, at least not consistently.

Therefore, I'd be a lot happier to get a player like Iguodala who can give you both, offense as well as defense. While we need an offensive upgrade, that upgrade may not have to be our second-best scorer every single night. We still have JET who can fill that role occasionally. If Iggy and JET were able to consistently give us a 2nd and 3rd scoring option, regardless of who plays which role on any given night, we might be fine.

One more thing to consider is that Martin has been injury-prone for years now, and we're not talking about 5 or 6 games over the course of a season. In the last three seasons, including this one, he always missed 20+ games. He's never had to play a full season with an extensive playoff run. How would his body react to that kind of physical pressure? Iggy's durability vs. Martin's fragility should be a major factor and I'm glad that even Dirk pointed it out just the other day.

Last edited by dalger; 02-07-2010 at 01:13 PM.
dalger is offline   Reply With Quote