Thread: Rondo?
View Single Post
Old 12-11-2014, 03:02 PM   #16
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

I'm still a huge Rondo fan and would love to add him. There are still a lot of obstacles that make it very challenging for it to happen.

Roster composition - The only way we'd be able to get Rondo would be if we traded Ellis, and even if we did that, we'd certainly have to trade one of JJB, Nelson or Felton. Maybe easier said than done, especially with Felton.
Ellis - Like I said, if we trade for Rondo it would almost certainly cost us Ellis. Even if Rondo is a better player (and I think there are good arguments for both sides of that discussion) Ellis is a great fit next to Dirk, both from a skillset and a chemistry perspective. But Ellis' cheap deal also makes him by far the most valuable trade asset on the roster, and you also have to consider how poorly Ellis and Rondo would fit next to each other, since neither one has any sort of track record to speak of playing off the ball. Do we really want to totally overhaul our backcourt, especially if Rondo isn't a very clear upgrade?
Wright - Wright is probably the second most-valuable trade asset that would have any chance of moving (assuming Dirk, Parsons and Tyson are all off the table, which I would argue they should be), but if you trade him, you definitely need to get a quality backup center for him. I love Brandan, but he is much more valuable to the Mavs than he would be almost anywhere else.

I'm sure there are other obvious ones I'm forgetting, but you really probably have to clear all three of those hurdles to make a Rondo trade work, and on a 17-7 team I just don't know if it's worth doing. Maybe if the Mavs can clear some cap space this summer after re-signing Tyson (assuming Ellis opts out and doesn't return) then you can sign Rondo outright, but I think you're almost punting on this season if you add Rondo to a mix of guys he's never played with, taking into account the Mavs' current standing in the conference.
spreedom is offline   Reply With Quote