Thread: Why?
View Single Post
Old 01-26-2023, 06:46 PM   #3
purplefrog
Platinum Member

purplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond repute

I have contemplated this very question for the last couple of months. The only answer that I can come up with is that there is a change in the locker room culture. Did Brunson keep everyone on the same page? Was it Bobi? Or is it that one or more of the newcomers has injected some toxicity? Could it be rooted in the proclamation by the FO that McGee was going to be a starter? Whatever happened to, what was it called, the "elected leaders" group that was started when Kidd and Nico came aboard?

What is apparent to me is that many of the players are not leaving it all on the court as much as last year. DFS and Bullock for example seem lethargic (at least in some/many games). The playfulness that we saw last year is gone for the most part and players do not seem to be enjoying themselves. Losing is certainly part of this, but what is the horse and what is the cart is not clear. Maybe Kidd's voice was novel and engaging last year but lacks substance and is boring this season. For me its a motivation problem, as the talent is basically the same (as you point out).