View Single Post
Old 01-02-2003, 11:07 AM   #16
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

<< OK, look, it is not hypocritical, nor is it contradictory, nor is it irrational, to appreciate what Nelson has done for the Mavs and at the same time wish the team had a new head coach.

David, the repetitive statement (said many different ways) that Nelson has improved this team's regular season record every year gets nowhere. The other side of the argument is that Nelson is one of the winningest coaches in NBA history and has never even sniffed a ring as coach.

The truth is you really can't argue with either statement, because both are fact.

I think Don does get more out of players during the regular season utilizing matchups, playing a high-tempo game, yada yada yada. But at the same time, he does about a half-dozen to a dozen things a night that drive me friggin' nuts. The 48 minute Dirk is one example (if the ankle tightens up when he's on the bench, he needs to rest it, not play it more!). The refusal to ride the hot hand is another.

I amy be wrong, but except for NY, his team have done worse without Nelson the year after he leaves. That tells me he gets more out of a team than other coaches. But has he ever had a team this talented? I don't think so. So, in my mind, it is time for him to deliver.

I'll give Nelson this year, I'll even give him next year. I am content, for now, to watch and let Nelson drive me nuts. But at some point, Nelson needs to show me he can coach straight up, that he can take this team to the next level. And if he doesn't do it, where are you? Oh, the team wasn't good enough. Well, that is his responsibility too.

At the end of the day David, you have to accept the fact that regular season wins are not as important as playoff wins. We have to see progress at that end. If we don't, then where are we?
>>

Great post, Dooby. I agree wholeheartedly.