View Single Post
Old 01-02-2003, 02:33 PM   #29
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

<<

<<

When Phil Jackson took over for Doug Collins, he hadn't done any of the above. He simply took over a team that hadn't quite reached the pinnacle yet, and took them to the next level. That said, I don't think this argument holds much water.
>>

I'll take your word on it.
>>

You don't have to take my word for it. Phil Jackson's first head coaching job in the NBA was with the Bulls. Consequently, he couldn't have:

<< - Actually head coach successfully for a year.
Or
- Head coach for half a year.
Or
- Actually been completely responsible for the team.
Or
- Taken a completely rotten team and built them up.
>>

Your position was that we shouldn't talk about Donnie because he's never done any of those things. My point is that those things don't necessarily mean anything (using Jackson as an example).

<< Doug Collins also had Michael Jordan from lottery pick in 84 till 89 when he was replaced. Their record from 84-89 was:

84 - 38-44
85 - 30-52
86 - 40-42
87 - 50-32
88 - 47-35
Then Jackzen
89 - 55-27
90 - 61-21 Champions

So when Nellie goes DOWN in wins you can certainly make a good case for going in another direction, until then enjoy the ride, I know I will. Even making a knee-jerk reaction to even this years playoff run might seem pre-mature.
>>

Again, for your argument to be correct, the definition of success must mean regular season wins. The Bulls went to the second round in 1987, only to be eliminated by the Pistons. The Bulls then traded for Bill Cartwright, resulting in a lower regular season win total in 1988 while the players acclimated to one another, but they made it to the ECF, where they were eliminated 4-2 (by the Pistons). Thus, Doug Collins was fired despite having his most successful season.

I'm willing to give Nellie more time if he makes it to the WCF. If not, I'm really not, whether he wins more regular season games or not.