View Single Post
Old 01-02-2003, 11:14 PM   #40
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

<< At what point in Nelson's career has Nelson had the team to beat in the NBA? >>

Since the team to beat is usually the champs, I guess the answer is never.

<< At what point in Nelson's career did Nelson have one of the top 5 teams in the NBA, until now? >>

Last year.

<< If Nelson had the best team, and was blowing it in the playoffs, I could understand the sentiment that he can't coach a team to the championship. So far, Nelson has only had teams that overachieved. Nelson gets a lot out of the talent on hand. >>

And I think Nellie's system does get a lot out of the team -- during the regular season. But when playoff basketball rolls around, it honestly is a different game, and I think that the team should be doing things that prepare it to succeed in that arena, even if it is at the expense of a few regular season wins. The Mavericks might not should have beaten the Kings, but they shouldn't have lost 4-1. That's underachieving.

<< This year, are the Mavs the best team in the NBA? Personally, I don't think so. I think the Kings are deeper and farther along. Does that mean that if the Mavs don't beat the Kings in the playoffs, that Nelson has blown it? Again, I don't think so. I think it means the Mavs got beat by the better team. >>

I agree with you. I also think the Kings are the best team in the NBA. And if the Mavericks lose to the Kings in the WCF, I can live with that. If Nellie gets them to the WCF to face the Kings, I say give him more time to try and topple the Kings. But I honestly don't think that there are any other teams in the West that have more talent or should be better than the Mavs. Do you?