View Single Post
Old 05-04-2006, 03:28 PM   #94
alexamenos
Diamond Member

alexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVI
3) The Kings are not your typical #8 seed ...
Well, some team had to be the 8th seed. If not the Kings, who?

The Nuggets, Clippers, Lakers or Grizz? I'll grant you the Nuggets and no way on the Clippers. As for the Lakers or Grizz....toss-up -- the Kings weren't the only team playing pretty good ball after the all-star break.

I really don't think the kings are anything great -- they're a bottom half of the bracket team, and not much more. Last time the Mavs played 'em, Bonzi and Artest combined for 49, and the Mavs won by 25. helluva job making the playoffs, but that's all they've got.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVI
Again, to really appreciate the situation, you need to look at how the minutes are spread around.
And that's why I looked at "minute-weighted" ages...this explicitly considers "how minutes are spread around." I can't say it any more clearly than this....expressly considering "how minutes are spread around", the Spurs are the oldest team in the NBA. This is a fact, not a subjective judgment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVI
That's the Spurs M.O. - they like to mix experience with youth. They'll always have the mid-30 guys around to provide leadership and maturity to the young guys.
That's just about every teams' MO....a couple of teams (Blazers, Hawks) might go real young and set themselves up for the lottery, but everybody's got their vets.

lessee....minutes played last game....Bowen (34, 32 min), Finley (33, 31 min), Horry (35, 19 min), Barry (34, 23 min), NVE (34, 14 min).

That's 5 guys over the age of 33 taking 119 out of 240 man-minutes. Can you name a team that gets more minutes per game out of over 33 players? None come to mind as far as I know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVI
Bottom line is, the Spurs are routinely playing 9-10 guys, not 7-8. That's how they keep the age from being a major factor.
whether you're rotating 3 geriatrics or 5 in and out of the game is not the issue, it's how many you've got on the floor at any one time....guys lose a step when they hit their 30's (I've lost about 8 steps, myself)....you put 2 or 3 33+ guys on the court with a younger and more athletic team, you're gonna have problems keeping up....

....and you're gonna give up tons of rebounds to pudgy 6'5" journeymen players....

Last edited by alexamenos; 05-04-2006 at 03:52 PM.
alexamenos is offline   Reply With Quote