Thread: The Obama Boom.
View Single Post
Old 03-07-2009, 11:14 PM   #88
aquaadverse

aquaadverse is a name known to allaquaadverse is a name known to allaquaadverse is a name known to allaquaadverse is a name known to allaquaadverse is a name known to allaquaadverse is a name known to allaquaadverse is a name known to allaquaadverse is a name known to allaquaadverse is a name known to all

[I]"what? "the last president to get elected primarily by a message of being the opposite of an unpopular president that wasn't a candidate"???

please try to make sense."[I]

Carter ran a campaign against Nixon, not Ford.

Obama ran against Bush, not McCain. McCain only called him on it once and never used the historically low ratings of Congress.

Neither Nixon or Bush was a candidate. Once you get past that there was little to Carter. If Nixon or Bush weren't as unpopular the tactic wouldn't have worked. In spite of taking one for the team by pardoning Nixon and having a huge amount of ground to make up, Ford damn caught Carter.

And if the little meltdown had happened 45 days later this race would have been more interesting.

It's like the popular backup QB from BFE U. with no experience replacing the starter who is doing badly. Call it the "can't do any worse" syndrome.

"pelosi? she has absolutely NOTHING to do with the issue."

As persuasive as using CAPS and declarative sentences with zero explanation of how you got there happens to be, I still think Pelosi is taking a fair amount of heat while Obama gets to talk about about "regrettable lack of bipartisanship".

If you want to think her comments of "We won, we'll write the bills" and constant face time while Obama has no contact with the press and never actually comments on any details of the legislation has no effect on his approval rating, fine.
aquaadverse is offline   Reply With Quote