View Single Post
Old 05-15-2022, 02:33 PM   #125
G-Man
Platinum Member

G-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas41 View Post
I know some people will keep throwing it out there that Luka will attract FA's but I just don't buy that anymore. It didn't work with Dirk and the Mavs built their rosters via trades not FA's
Perhaps the problem with getting free agents was not Dirk and is not Luka. Maybe the problem was Carlisle.

Remember when they first got Kidd? In one of his early games, think against the Spurs, he had a conflict with RC over who would call the plays. Eventually, they worked it out. But a few years later, we saw the same conflict with Rondo, and that blew up in the Mavs faces big time. I suspect a lot of young stars do not want to be under the thumb of an old control freak.

Now, potential players see a different look Mavs team. We have Luka, who will get anyone better shots, and we have Kidd, who is showing himself to be a great coach. He has made this team that leaked like a sieve into a defensive juggernaut, with the addition of just one player. This is a team that is headed for greatness. It is dramatically more attractive than the post championship Mavs, where most of the key players were just a few seasons away from retirement.

If I'm a talented guy and I want a chance at a ring, Dallas is as good a place as any to have a chance at multiple long playoff runs. And I think Nico will know how to use that to his advantage. He's taken Frank and Chriss from off the scrap heap and made them into decent trade pieces. Kidd has shown that Josh has value at well.

Nico and Kidd are now one of the hottest management teams in the league. If Cuban is willing to open his wallet, I think the sky is the limit.