View Single Post
Old 11-03-2010, 12:28 PM   #10
Maringa
Golden Member

Maringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to all

I agree with Alex in this manner - instead of driving off the cliff at 100 mph, we are driving off the cliff at 94 mph. What do the Democrats or Republicans have to offer to resolve this? Crickets....Unfortunately this every two year radical swing back and forth and temper tantrums between the two parties is not going to cut it. Hence, whether right or wrong, the emergence of the Tea Party. We can all get distracted and throw racist/bigot/intolerant labels at that group, but the fundamental issue as to why they came into play is being drowned out, and no one wants to listen...How is the government going to cut spending, get control of the economy and eliminate obvious corruption by both parties in the financial sector?

The only thing that I will criticize about the Tea Party is that they are unwilling to compromise increase on taxes. I don't think you can make an effective dent on the deficit just on spending cuts alone. The Dems/Reps will have to come up with creative ways of increasing revenue without significantly affecting consumer spending. Unfortunately that is a tough sell to both of their constituencies. I'm not overly optimistic...

California elections results are a case in point. The Governator made a very feeble attempt to cut spending, but he could not overcome the huge boulder in the road - I think he just gave up. So now, they elect a known big time spender/big government, guy with no clue on how to handle their economic predicament - it's just amazing! I am interested in seeing how Brown is going to handle this (although, I'll be honest, I don't think his opponent would have done a much better job). 2-3 years max - a massive federal bailout will be requested with all kinds of earth shattering/panicking press releases that California is too "big" to fail. Unfortunately, the Republican house will fight back little, but eventually succumb to the accusation of being the party of no.