View Single Post
Old 05-06-2013, 12:13 PM   #72
Jack.Kerr
Golden Member

Jack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Scorpions in a box. Getcha popcorn ready.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394 View Post
I'm just calling it like I see it. I don't care bout being called a bigot, that crap gets thrown around like candy.
Candy, huh. In your case, Dude, I'd say it's 'sweets for the sweet'. [/quote]

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394 View Post
The biggest bigotry being shown is not being shown by Broussard.
It's hilarious to me to see fundamentalists put on their victim cap (and matching panties) when people stand up to them and point out their bigotry and hypocrisy.

It's almost as funny as seeing religiionists (of all stripes) start fighting among themselves. Like Pat Robertson's recent comments that Satan was trying to destroy Israel, but that Jews didn't understand this because they didn't believe in Jesus.

Robertson's comment was recent, but it brings to mind the comments of a former head of the Southern Baptist Convention, Bailey Smith (circa 1980), who said that God doesn't hear the prayer of a Jew. Just a couple of years later, fundamenatlist Muslim minister Louis Farrakhan referred to Judaism as a "gutter religion".

And then you have Mormons, secretly baptizing lists of long-dead Jews, Christians and other non-Mormons into the faith posthumously, despite objections from the dead people's families, and demands that they stop the practice.

Jews and Judaism have of course been the targets of abuse and annihilation, but that didn't stop Iranian President Ahmadinejad from alleging that the holocaust was a myth, designed to create sympathy for Jews and a pretext for the state of Israel. (Ahmadinejad also took time out from Jew-bashing to opine that homosexuality was evil, and to declare that there were no homosexuals in all of Iran.)

Obviously, cross-religious slurs are not limited to Judaism-- just about a year and a half ago, Dallas' own fundamentalist Baptist preacher Robert Jeffress (presumably in support of Rick Perry) offered his own particular Christian perspective that Mormonism was a cult, and that Mitt Romney wasn't a Christian.

And not to be left out of the fray, we have the Catholic Pope Benedict (and admitted former Nazi no less) saying that Catholicism was the one "true" church and the only true path to salvation, and that other churches and denominations were defective. He also quoted a 14th century Persian scholar saying that Mohammed's contributions to Islam were evil and inhuman, and the spreading of religion by violence. (And then Ratzinger/Benedict quits the poping gig early to go live with his younger male (platonic?) companion.)

*Updating this to point out that, just yesterday, in the true spirit of Christian love, the Archbishop of Rhode Island wrote in response to recently passed marriage equality legistlation in his state to remind his faithful that "...homosexual acts are intrinsically disordered", and to urge Catholics to think twice before attending a same-sex marriage ceremony.

And of course, there's Westboro Baptist, who hates everybody all the time for everything.

It's all sweetness and light in the name of ....Jesus, Moroni, Mohammed......whoever.

Last edited by Jack.Kerr; 05-06-2013 at 02:07 PM.
Jack.Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote