View Single Post
Old 10-09-2006, 01:08 PM   #25
V2M
Diamond Member

V2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-ofan
JJ is ALOT better than josh. Peja got overpaid but when hes right, hes better than josh too. I dont want to lose josh but i think he has an inflated view of himself. That said, if he wont accept a reasonable extension, keep him and match what he gets next year or bluff matching and do a sign and trade.
JJ is better than Josh but certainly not A LOT better... so much so that he deserves a $70m/5yr contract, plus Boris Diaw and a couple of 1st round picks! That's gotta' be one of the most overpaid & lopsided contracts I know, in recent times!!

Peja is not better than Josh now and certainly won't be for the next 5 or 6 years, as they play out their new contracts. Josh is still peaking, while Peja is clearly on the downhill of his career.

Regardless, I think it's in the best interest of the Mavs (and Josh too, of course!) to get it done before the Oct 31 deadline. No point going into a season in which anything short of a championship would be deemed a failure, with a big distraction. Let's not make the same mistake as we did with Nash. Yes, Josh is different in that he'll be a RFA but there could be teams out there with enough cap room and could potentially construct a deal so unfriendly that you may be forced to lose him for nothing. At the very least, there's a risk that Josh may try to play tentative & not to get hurt (although, knowing what we know of him, that's quite unlikely!).

Of course, if we were not this close to winning, I'd have said the same... just pay him the market value and if he walks, so be it... just go sign a replacement. But fortunately we're very close to a ring, and let's not jeopardize our chances by worrying about a mil or two/yr.

Last edited by V2M; 10-09-2006 at 01:09 PM.