View Single Post
Old 09-27-2008, 01:38 AM   #54
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

On first glance, McCain wins. He got the "biting" comments in, stayed on his theme of "Obama doesn't understand" and "I'm the experienced one". It was like a team that was intent on establishing the low post and continually going to that, even if it was getting old and losing some relevance at times. His debate purpose was obviously more offensive, as he's trailing in the polls, which he pulled off fairly well IMO.

Obama fell into it a few times by trying to defend very specific statements but, on the whole, kept away from trying to prove himself and rather was able to illustrate why he would be different (and depending on the viewer, better) than McCain - and Bush. I thought McCain made an effort to distinguish himself from Bush, but other than torturing POWs, he failed. I don't see any Bush-haters or "non-fans" feeling McCain right now.

I'd say both says will say their side won. Nothing resounding either way. As for the independents, I think this debate will serve them well. On foreign policy, they are on opposite ends of the spectrum so there wasn't much politicking to be done (and I felt for the most part, both sides kept away from cherry-picking or nitpicking). It's pretty clear cut. You like white bread or brown bread. You want mayo or you don't. So, independents will migrate to the field they are most attracted to. Obama's insistance that the Iraq WAR (not the tactical surge) is a mistake and focus on Afghanistan may not be very quotable but should score bigger and more long-term points than anything McCain said IMO.

Personality wise, McCain came off a little standoffish and aggressive while Obama seemed slightly aloof. McCain's approach will probably make the stronger first impression but over time, I'll prefer the guy who is more calm and willing to admit he agrees - but that's just me.

I think we may see a point or two shift either way but for the most part, we did not learn much about these guys tonight and little opinions will change from this debate.

watch your thoughts, they become your words
rabbitproof is offline   Reply With Quote