View Single Post
Old 04-14-2006, 08:52 AM   #18
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold
Default He's a diabolical genuius.

April 14, 2006
Cavaliers 91, Knicks 87
Brown Is Taken to Hospital After Knicks' Loss in Cleveland

By HOWARD BECK
CLEVELAND, April 13 — Knicks Coach Larry Brown was taken by stretcher to an area hospital late Thursday night after experiencing an undisclosed ailment during the game against the Cleveland Cavaliers.

Brown, 65, looked ashen as he was wheeled out of Quicken Loans Arena by emergency medical technicians at about 11:40 p.m. Brown was strapped to a gurney and had an oxygen tube attached to his nose.

The Knicks did not provide any specific information about Brown's condition, but a spokesman said that his vital signs were stable. Brown, who had at least one heart test, believed to be an EKG, was expected to spend the night in the hospital for observation.

Brown was examined for at least an hour by a Cavaliers team physician and accompanied to the hospital by a Knicks physician, Dr. Martin O'Malley. Neither doctor was available to reporters. The Knicks' director for player care, Dr. Lisa Callahan, spoke by telephone with the Cavaliers' physician and relayed the information to the Knicks' spokesman, Jonathan Supranowitz.

Supranowitz, quoting Callahan, said that the decision to hospitalize Brown was made because "it came on so suddenly." Supranowitz had earlier described the ailment as an upset stomach. A statement from the Cavaliers said Brown had acid reflux.

This is the second time in six weeks that Brown has checked into a hospital during a road trip. Brown had chest pains on a flight to Memphis from San Antonio on Feb. 27. Brown later played down that incident, saying, "I have an athletic heart and sometimes it gets crazy, beats crazy, but that's been my whole life."

Brown's health has been a concern for more than a year. He missed 17 games during his last season with the Detroit Pistons after having a hip-replacement operation, which led to a bladder problem. He has talked about possible surgery to correct the bladder problem this summer.

Brown left the bench Thursday night with 3 minutes 6 seconds left in the third quarter and the Knicks leading, 62-52. An assistant, Herb Williams, coached the rest of the game, which the Knicks lost, 91-87.

For 45 minutes after the final buzzer, a parade of Knicks assistants and staff members, and Cavaliers General Manager Danny Ferry and Coach Mike Brown — both of whom have worked under Brown — visited Brown in a room down the hallway from the Knicks' locker room.

At one point, Supranowitz emerged from the room and said that Brown told him, "I'm fine."

Given Brown's health and his history, and his struggles to coach the Knicks this season, Thursday's incident raises the possibility that Brown could seek an early exit from a five-year deal worth $10 million a season. He has clashed with many of his players, including the star guard Stephon Marbury.

Earlier in the day, the injured Marbury seemed eager to unload about the issues he has had this season, saying he would have much to say after the season ends Wednesday.

"I told Jonathan to get the podium ready," Marbury, wearing a mischievous grin and nodding toward Supranowitz, said after the morning shoot-around.
When asked to reflect on the Knicks' dismal season and his own tumultuous year, Marbury said it was not time yet.

"We can talk about that the last day we get to speak. Don't worry, I'm going to answer all of y'all questions," Marbury said.

Efforts to trade Marbury are certain to top the Knicks' off-season agenda because of his public feud with Brown. While Marbury did not specifically criticize Brown on Thursday, he repeated some of the sentiments that sparked their debate last month.

Marbury has missed seven consecutive games because of a knee strain and has given no indication he will return.

"I ain't never worried," Marbury said, referring to the possibility of a trade. "I'm going to be back in New York. I'm not going anywhere, I don't think. As far as I know. I don't see why I'd be anywhere else other than New York."

Despite his assumption that he and Brown will spend another season together, Marbury said he saw no need to hash out their differences this summer.

"I'm fine," he said. "I'm comfortable with myself and I'm content. Like I said, I came here willing and able, 100 percent committed to do whatever he wanted me to do. I did it, it didn't work, so I'm going to play like how I know how to play."

That remark was an echo of Marbury's comment last month that he needed to go back to playing like "Starbury," his alter ego. Brown prefers his point guards to pass first and score when necessary. Marbury, a scoring guard for his entire career, has bristled at changing his style.

But, he said, "There have been people who've played for a coach who didn't see things the same way, and it worked out. I don't see why it can't work out. But like I said, and I'm going to say it again: I played like Stephon Marbury this year, and next year I'm going to play like Starbury."

Later, he sounded defiant about Brown's wishes. "Oh, he don't have to worry, I'm going to do everything that I did before he came here. I don't care what he wants to hear. I'm telling you what I'm going to do."

If Marbury is still a Knick next fall, it could be as a shooting guard, a role he has coveted.

"I don't know if I want him as a point guard," Brown said. "I want him as a basketball player."

Brown and Marbury appeared in sync when the Knicks won six consecutive games to open 2006. Then Marbury injured his shoulder and the team went into a tailspin. By the time Marbury was healthy, the season was lost — as was whatever unity Brown and Marbury had.

"Believe me, this ain't going to be the same team," Brown said. "I think from Day 1, we've got to have a defensive mindset and we've gotta share the ball, we've gotta find people that'll do that, especially in the backcourt."

Last edited by MavKikiNYC; 04-14-2006 at 08:55 AM.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote