Thread: Fin Vs. Stack
View Single Post
Old 11-18-2004, 09:50 PM   #67
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough
Default RE:Fin Vs. Stack

Quote:
Originally posted by: dalmations202
Quote:
Originally posted by: FilthyFinMavs
Quote:
so when their shots are not going in (especially Finely), we need Stack to penetrate and draw fouls.

Where was this when we couldn't score to save our lives in the Phoenix game when Dirk went out of the game? Was Stack not the one shooting jumpers?
Where was Fin? They definately could have used his help. IMO; Fin, Terry, and Dirk are the shooters. Fin is either the best or second best shooter behind Dirk.

Fin is not the best at driving though. Stack is better at taking it to the rack. Fin does not have the handles, and that has been documented for years. The way to defend Fin, is to make him floor the ball. If Fin is on, it doesn't matter because he will beat you with his fade away. If he is off, he will keep shooting the jumper and go home 5-20.

Now, if I was coaching, and I wanted Dirk to start the game as the shooter, and all others to take the ball in, forcing the tempo I want, and not allowing the other team to force tempo, then who should start. IMO...Stack.

What does that leave me with on the bench? An all-star caliber shooter that I could put in to "bust the zone", or get my #1 offensive player some rest, allowing Fin to be the #1 offensive threat, and play either SG or SF, depending on which gives him the better mismatch.

Fin would be a great 6th man because of his versatility. I am not trying to belittle Fin, just state that he would be excellent in that role. I like Fin, and don't advocate trading him unless you can get top 10 talent for him, but talking a 6th man role makes perfect sense for him at this point in his career. Then Fin could be the #1 option, instead of Stack coming in and being the #1 option when Dirk is out of the game.

Where was Fin? I could be wrong here but I think he was injured. And as far as sitting Fin on the bench it's fine if you prefer having a guy like Fin come into the game and launch up jumpers in order to get a rhythym. It's not easy coming off the bench and being depended on to score. As you saw the other night Dirk came in the game launching and missing jumpers. Guys like Jamison have success coming off the bench because they are capable of going inside out. As you stated above, Fin is not the best at driving so I don't see why you would want him coming off the bench. And to top it off the bench doesn't guarantee you less shots or less minutes. All it guarantess you is that you won't ever play 48 minutes in a regular season game. Fin could come off the bench and still shoot 20 jumpers and get 38 minutes so if you think Fin coming off the bench is a solution to getting Dirk more shots than you have another thing coming.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote