Thread: Fin Vs. Stack
View Single Post
Old 11-19-2004, 09:08 AM   #70
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:Fin Vs. Stack

Quote:
And as far as sitting Fin on the bench it's fine if you prefer having a guy like Fin come into the game and launch up jumpers in order to get a rhythym. It's not easy coming off the bench and being depended on to score. As you saw the other night Dirk came in the game launching and missing jumpers. Guys like Jamison have success coming off the bench because they are capable of going inside out. As you stated above, Fin is not the best at driving so I don't see why you would want him coming off the bench. And to top it off the bench doesn't guarantee you less shots or less minutes. All it guarantess you is that you won't ever play 48 minutes in a regular season game. Fin could come off the bench and still shoot 20 jumpers and get 38 minutes so if you think Fin coming off the bench is a solution to getting Dirk more shots than you have another thing coming.
Yes, I prefer Fin coming in and knocking down jumpers. I prefer him to be rested and have his legs throughout the season, and not be injured. I prefer him playing, leading, and winning with the Mavs. I don't in any way form or fashion believe that he has to come in and go inside out to get in rythem to shoot though. I have coached way too many kids who could shoot, and sometimes they were on, and sometimes they were off. If you get them in early, then you say they haven't got in rythem yet, if it is late, then they have lost their legs from being tired. Either way, sometimes they come in and shoot lights out, and sometimes they can't hit the broad side of a barn. EX...a couple of years ago in the WCF, a little used backup shooter named Steve Kerr came in the game against the Mavericks, and turned a loss for the Spurs into a win, by shooting lights out -- cold, not in rythem, late in the 3rd before he saw the floor.

I did not say I wanted Dirk to get more shots, nor Fin get less. What I said was the Fin on the bench would allow Dirk to be the #1 option to start the game, then Nellie would have an awesome tool to utilize as the game needed. This would also allow Dirk to be pulled a little sooner, and Fin to be the #1 scoring option. I think he is a better #1 scoring option than Stack. I think Stack is better at getting to the rim though, and a better #2 scoring option. At times, I think all three Dirk, Fin, Stack are needed in the game for their scoring.

I guess the only difference I see in what you and I said is that : Because Fin is a shooter, I want him on the bench, to bring in a shooter. You seem to think that because Stack is a slasher, he should come off the bench to slash. I guess just a preference.

Now, with all this said. IMO, Fin will always start because of the allegiance Nellie holds to him, and because of his leadership ability.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote