Thread: Fin Vs. Stack
View Single Post
Old 11-19-2004, 12:31 PM   #71
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough
Default RE:Fin Vs. Stack

Quote:
Originally posted by: MavKikiNYC
Quote:
Originally posted by: FilthyFinMavs
I remember two years ago when everyone wasn't really familiar with the trading in the NBA they use to preach that we should trade Finley everytime he got hurt. Now they realize that Fin won't be traded they want to put him in the 6th man role. We do this every year so I guess I should be use to it now.
Filthy, I (for one) have suggested that Finley would be good as 6th, NOT as some sort of demotion or de-emphasis, but because I think he has the temperment and skills to be successful in that role, and also because I think it might actually preserve him physically a little better.

Having a player who can come in and start shooting or be a lockdown defender is a key contribution for a contending team--like John Havlicek, Kevin McHale and Bill Walton in Boston; like Bobby Jones for Philly's championship team; like Downtown Fred Brown with Seattle's championship teams, like Michael Cooper with the ShowTime teams; and like Ricky Pierce with Nelson's old Milwaukee teams.

I think that fans, like players, lose sight of the fact that starting the game is not the only way to make an important contribution, and that great players can make great contributions in a 6th-man role.

And, why can't Stack or Terry take this role? I'll state right now that i'm one of the ones who believes you should just play the best players available. I think this whole Terry and Stack on the bench is just to say that we have the best bench in the league. I don't think it makes us any better sitting Terry and Stack on the bench than if they were starting.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote