View Single Post
Old 05-16-2007, 02:29 PM   #74
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silk Smoov
What rules are you talking about. Go back and read all my posts from this thread and tell me which one you are talking about. You need to read ONLY my posts. If you read the others, they were twisting words and adding stuff that I never mentioned. I challenge you to go back to see what I said.
Challenge accepted

Quote:
I understand the cap, but what I am saying is that I feel that Cuban is going to break the bank this year at all costs.

Salary info: http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm

I know the cap information above , but the word here is that Cuban is going to break the bank, and Billups is the main name being tossed around. It seems that you are indeed just high, because at no time have you heard that I said he will sign for the MLE. I said Cuban will break the bank.
In this post, you claim to understand the RULES of the salary cap. And yet you claim that Cuban is going to "break the bank" as if the cap is not really an obstable, and he can get around it if he wants to.

You admitted that Billups could not be aquired for the MLE, so you are in fact claiming that the Mavs would be allowed to spend more than the MLE in free agency.

Quote:
Seems that Mary does NOT understand how it all works, as she so claims. The 2006-07luxury tax threshold is $65.42 million, up $3.7 million from the $61.7 million threshold last season. Seems that maybe Mary is NOT as smart as you put on. So starting the 2008-09 season we COULD be under the salary and luxury tax threshold, so why not sign Billups?
Here you claim that Mary does NOT understand the RULES of the salary cap, but apparantly you do. You quote some luxury tax numbers, apparantly beleiving that they have a bearing on our ability to sign players. You ask "why not sign Billups". Why?? Because based on your own statements before, WE CAN'T! You already stated he would not sign for the MLE. Based on the rules of the cap, that is all we can offer. So by your own logic, we are unable to sign Billups.

Quote:
From what I understand, that is before they start to pay the luxury tax. If this was the case, then how do teams get to http://www.hoopshype.com/salaries/new_york.htm
Here is the money quote. Here you admit that you have no friggin' clue how the salary cap works. The luxury tax is NOT the spending limit of the NBA. The salary cap is. Teams get over the salary cap by using the Larry Bird rights on their own existing free agents, and by using the Exceptions given by the NBA, which you already stated Billups would not sign for. When you complete a trade, if you are over the cap, you must trade essentially equal salary, within a certaion threshold.

You are right about one thing on Billups. He is very likely to opt out of his contract this season, and be a free agent. He can most certainly sign with whomever he wants. But as you already agreed to, it is EXCEEDINGLY unlikely that the top free agent on the market would sign with a team for the MLE. Because the Dallas Mavericks are over the NBA's salary cap, they can only offer the MLE. We've already decided he will not sign for that, so if the Mavs' want to pursue Billups, they will have to convince Billups AND the Detroit Pistons to complete a sign and trade, where they send the Piston salary roughly equal to the contract Billups signs.

So when someone says "the only way the Mavs can get Billups is if they trade for him", they are NOT incorrect.

So, as you can see from your quotes, you claimed more than once to know the rules of the salary cap. You claimed that Mary did not.

You are flat out wrong, and it would behoove you to just admit that you didn't know what you were talking about.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com

Last edited by jthig32; 05-16-2007 at 02:34 PM.