Thread: LOST: SEASON 5
View Single Post
Old 01-26-2009, 03:48 PM   #129
alexamenos
Diamond Member

alexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexamenos View Post
Just re-watched the episode where Ben kills all the Dharma folks and then shoots Locke. The dude is bad news.
As I was sitting on the comode making a little baby Sike I started re-thinking the question of whether Ben is more good than bad or not....the prime reason I've thought him genuinely bad all along was the Dharma-cide from last season. Hitting a group of tree-hugging hippy scientists with a mess of WMD isn't the sort of thing a good guy normally does.

That said....last season I remained open to the possibility that the Dharma Initiative was plausibly up to some really bad stuff and therefore Ben's Dharma-cide wasn't really such a bad thing because they just had it coming. Upon further review, this seems most likely.

--We've learned that the ever smiling, namaste-ing, polite and gentle host of the orientation is actually kind of a dick and a mad scientist who is acting like a nice guy. That is, Dr. Smiley Namaste-Man is actually a facade that hides a much darker interior;

--We've learned that the DI was militarily more sophisticated than I had previously imagined, having persons on the island with those unique specialties that Dr. Namaste spoke of. Come to think of it, maybe Inman (was that his name?) from the Hatch never left the military, or maybe he'd gone into the mercenary business and that's how he wound up working for the Dharma initiative.

So....I'm thinking the Dharma Iniative was a cover for a prinicpally military (private, perhaps) endeavor. These guys were trying to figure out how to take over the world in a Dr. Evil like scheme, and Widmore was driving the boat, so to speak. Moreover my earlier comments with respect to BBL's contention that the guys that grabbed Sawyer and Juliette were possibly Dharma guys may be 180 degrees wrong:

Quote:
I never got the feeling that any of the dharma folks were the kind to cut off a chick's hand just to show that they meant business when threatening to cut off the chick's second hand...they're more "let's all just get along" hippy peacenik types, and those guys that grabbed Sawyer and Juliette were pretty hard dudes.
It seems quite plausibly we were seeing a glimpse of the real dharma guys that hide behind the happy hippy facade, and moreover maybe "Jones" and "Mattingly" mistook Sawyer and Juliette for "hostiles"....get it?

anyhoo...the point of all this is that maybe Ben wiping out the Dharma Initiative wasn't such a bad thing...maybe Ben is just a guy making some hard choices.