View Single Post
Old 08-18-2008, 10:21 AM   #418
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsluggo
that said, these small schools are always resourse constrained (that is why so many of them are closing). I have no problem with Dalmation's solution of designating some teachers as security in addition to their other duties, and then training and arming them. it is what it is. My Cousin is a history teacher sic soccer coach sic bus driver in a small rural school. multitasking is the norm... but someone should be ASSIGNED the responsibility, rather than just relying on haphazard chance.
Maybe some smaller schools could benefit from better budgeting. I obviously can't speak for all schools, but I went to an EXTREMELY small school in rural Texas (I'm not even sure they can field an 11-man team anymore). Teachers were paid very low, textbooks were usually old, and we were very slow incorporate computers (or any other type of technology) into the general educational environment. We used a building that was built by the PWA.
I think it would have been classified, by any standard, as a "poor" school district.

But that didn't stop us from spending hundreds of thousands of dollars on the boy's athletic program.

No siree. We had a fine brand new football stadium, new uniforms, and a well paid coaching staff.

I realize that some school districts may actually be strapped for cash, despite operating efficiently.

There are others that just make bad choices.

Sorry for the OT.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."

Last edited by mary; 08-18-2008 at 10:25 AM.
mary is offline   Reply With Quote