View Single Post
Old 08-21-2001, 10:56 AM   #6
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

and yes, i respect cal alot as a person because of his streak.. but it doesn't make me respect him much more as a ball player.. if anything, there were times when he should have set out to help hhimself get out of a slump..this would have been good for the team....but he chose to keep the streak alive..which became more important than the actual game and the actual team...to me, there's a bit of selfishness in that.... doing what's not best for the team so that you can achieve a personal record....

i look at greg maddux..he had a chance to set the major league record for most consecutive innings without a walk....but he ended his streak with complete class and dignity...by doing something that needed to be done to put his team in better position to win.
maddux was pitching and there was a runner on second base relatively late in the game...late enough to where he needed to set up the double play to try and keep any additional runs from crossing the plate.
so what did he do? he intentionally walked the batter to put runners on first and second to set up the double play.. exactly what was best for the team to have a better shot at winning the game.
he sacrificed his personal record for the good of the team.. whereas cal did the opposite at times..the streak became more important than the team itself at times....which is something i do not respect
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote